Withdrawing from traditional school is a simple but important step. If your child is currently enrolled in a school, you must withdraw them so they will not be considered absent when you begin homeschooling.


Knowing your rights and responsibilities at this step is also important. The school employees might not encounter homeschooling often, so it is understandable that they not know every detail. The responsibility for knowing how to begin homeschooling ultimately falls on the parent.


Only a legal guardian should withdraw a child from school. Our cover school cannot do this step on a parent's behalf.


Any time a parent chooses to withdraw a child from a school is allowed. It can be done for any reason and approval or permission is not needed*. 

*approval is strongly recommended in cases of truancy, social services, or custody


The student's school should supply you with a withdrawal form upon request. Fill it out and turn it in to the school. It is advisable to keep a copy for your own records.